Ackworth, located in West Yorkshire, is a charming village steeped in history and surrounded by natural beauty. Known for its Quaker school, historic buildings, and scenic landscapes, it offers a tranquil escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. The village is divided into High and Low Ackworth, each with its own unique character and attractions. With a welcoming community, a range of local amenities, and a variety of outdoor activities to enjoy, Ackworth is a delightful destination for visitors seeking a taste of traditional Yorkshire life.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – Ackworth, West Yorkshire
- Ackworth is a village and civil parish in the metropolitan borough of Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England.
- It is located between Pontefract, Barnsley, and Doncaster, with the closest being Pontefract.
- The village consists of four parts: High Ackworth, Low Ackworth, Ackworth Moor Top, and Brackenhill.
- Ackworth has a rich history dating back to the Anglo-Saxon times.
- The village is home to Ackworth School, a Quaker school founded in the 18th century.
- Ackworth’s population was recorded as 7,049 in the 2011 Census.
- The village is surrounded by farmland and has a number of walking trails for nature lovers.
- Ackworth has a number of local amenities including shops, pubs, and restaurants.
- The village is served by two railway stations: Fitzwilliam and Featherstone.
- Ackworth is known for its community spirit with numerous events held throughout the year.
Ackworth, West Yorkshire, on the map
FAQs About Ackworth, West Yorkshire
Where is Ackworth located?
Ackworth is located in West Yorkshire, England.
What is Ackworth, West Yorkshire known for?
Ackworth is known for its rich history, beautiful landscapes, and the Ackworth School, a co-educational boarding school founded in the 18th century.
What are some attractions in Ackworth, West Yorkshire?
Some attractions in Ackworth include the Ackworth Quaker School, St. Cuthbert’s Church, and the beautiful countryside that surrounds the village.
Where Next after Ackworth, West Yorkshire?
Having visited the charming village of Ackworth in West Yorkshire, you might be wondering where to head next. A short drive away is the bustling city of Leeds, known for its vibrant shopping scene and rich industrial heritage. You could also explore the historic city of York, with its stunning Minster, quaint cobbled streets, and the famous Shambles. For nature lovers, the Yorkshire Dales National Park is a must-visit, offering breathtaking landscapes and numerous walking trails. Don’t miss the chance to visit the picturesque coastal towns of Whitby and Scarborough, both renowned for their beautiful beaches and fresh seafood. And of course, no trip to Yorkshire would be complete without a visit to the Bronte Parsonage Museum in Haworth, the former home of the famous Bronte sisters.