Once the heart of England’s woollen industry, this charming Yorkshire market town is home to some of the region’s best-preserved Georgian and Victorian landmarks such as the magnificent Piece Hall.
Table of Contents
The town is heaven for children with Eureka! – the National Children’s Museum.
Nearby Holdsworth House Hotel and Restaurant featured in the BBC hit drama Last Tango in Halifax and Shibden Hall & Estate feature in the BBC/HBO drama Gentleman Jack, telling the story of the Hall’s most famous resident; Anne Lister. For information on locations used in Happy Valley, click here.
Accommodation in Halifax
There’s lots of places to stay in and around Halifax, ranging from apartments to rent in the town, to holiday cottages in villages and hamlets in the nearby countryside. There’s also a selection of fine hotels and country houses, as well as more budget conscious pub, B&B and guest house alternatives, making Halifax a good option for all visitors.
Ploughcroft CottagePloughcroft Cottage, 53 Ploughcroft Lane, Halifax, West Yorkshire, HX3 6TX, United Kingdom
LITTLE RED HOLIDAY HOME, Luxurious 2 Bed Accommodation Close To Halifax within West Yorkshire, local access to the Peak District9 Riding Head Lane, Halifax, HX2 6PT, United Kingdom
1 Barn Cottages1 Barn Cottages, Lower Rookes Farm, Barn Cottage, Rookes Lane, Halifax, West Yorkshire, HX3 8PU, United Kingdom
Halifax image gallery
Events in Halifax
There’s so much to see in this part of West Yorkshire, that you can easily fill your time, whatever the weather.
One Last Time Farewell Tour at Victoria Theatre, HalifaxFountain Street, Halifax, HX1 1BP
Date & Time:February 18th, 2024 7:30pm
The Lumineers at The Piece Hall, HalifaxBlackledge, Halifax, HX1 1RE
Date & Time:July 9th, 2023 6:00pm
The Charlatans & Johnny Marr at The Piece Hall, HalifaxBlackledge, Halifax, HX1 1RE
Date & Time:August 26th, 2023 6:00pm
Browse more events in Halifax here, or see everything at the Piece Hall, here.
Halifax on the Map
Hallifax is just to the West of the city of Leeds, and just north of Huddersfield, in the heart of West Yorkshire.
Take the A6036 from Leeds, or the A629 from Huddersfield, to arrive by road. By rail, Halifax is served by a good train station, with regular services to and from Leeds and Bradford.
Is Halifax a city or town?
Halifax is a large market town with a population of around 90,000.
Halifax Fact Pack
- Halifax is a historic market town in West Yorkshire, England, UK.
- The town’s name comes from the Old English words “halh” meaning “nook” or “remote valley” and “fax” meaning “fjord” or “stream”.
- Halifax is known for its role in the Industrial Revolution, particularly in the textile industry.
- The town is home to the Piece Hall, a Grade I listed building that was originally built in 1779 as a cloth hall.
- Halifax is the birthplace of famous English author Emily Bronte, who wrote the novel “Wuthering Heights”.
- The town is home to Halifax Minster, a beautiful church that dates back to the 12th century.
- Halifax has a number of beautiful parks and gardens, including Shibden Park and Manor Heath Park.
- The town is home to the Halifax Building Society, which is one of the largest financial institutions in the UK.
- Halifax is known for its beautiful architecture, including many historic buildings and landmarks.
- The town is located in the Pennines, a range of hills and mountains that runs through the middle of England.
- Halifax is home to the Eureka! National Children’s Museum, which is a popular attraction for families with young children.
- The town is famous for its toffee, which is still made using traditional methods.
- Halifax has a rich musical heritage and has produced a number of successful musicians, including John Mayall, Ed Sheeran and the indie band Embrace.
- The town is home to a number of well-regarded schools and colleges, including the Crossley Heath School and Calderdale College.
- Halifax has a thriving arts scene, with a number of galleries and cultural venues, including the Square Chapel Arts Centre.
- The town has a strong sporting tradition, with successful teams in football, rugby, and cricket.
- Halifax is home to the Halifax RLFC, a professional rugby league team.
- The town has a number of popular annual events, including the Halifax Agricultural Show, which takes place in August.
- Halifax is well-connected, with good road and rail links to other parts of the UK.
- The town is home to the Halifax Playhouse, a popular theatre that has been entertaining audiences for over 70 years.
- Halifax has a diverse population, with a large number of people from ethnic minority backgrounds.
- The town has a number of good shopping areas, including the Broad Street Plaza shopping centre.
- Halifax has a rich history, including its involvement in the English Civil War and its role in the development of the wool trade.
- The town has a number of historic pubs and inns, including the Three Pigeons Inn, which dates back to the 15th century.
- Halifax is a lively and friendly town, with a strong sense of community and a bright future.
Where Next after Halifax?
Halifax is towards the west of West Yorkshire, to the North East you’ll discover Bradford, and to the South you’ll find Huddersfield. Browse those pages to find accommodation and things to see and do near Halifax in those places. A couple of smaller, interesting, places nearby include Hebden Bridge and Penistone.