Lastingham is a village and civil parish which lies in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire. It is on the southern fringe of the North York Moors, 5 miles north-east of Kirkbymoorside, and 1.5 miles to the east of Hutton-le-Hole. With its picturesque setting and rich history, Lastingham is a must-visit destination for anyone exploring the Yorkshire countryside.
One of the highlights of Lastingham is its stunning 11th-century church, which boasts a unique crypt that is said to be one of the finest examples of Anglo-Saxon architecture in the country. The village is also home to a number of quaint cottages and traditional pubs, where visitors can enjoy a pint of local ale and soak up the friendly atmosphere.
Whether you’re looking to explore the great outdoors, learn about the area’s fascinating history, or simply relax and unwind in a beautiful setting, Lastingham has something to offer everyone. So why not plan a visit and discover the magic of this hidden gem for yourself?
Table of Contents
Accommodation in Lastingham
See also our Lastingham hotel page.
Facts About Lastingham
- Lastingham is a village located in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire, England.
- The village is situated on the southern edge of the North York Moors National Park.
- Lastingham is known for its historic church, St. Mary’s, which dates back to the 11th century.
- The church contains a crypt that is believed to be the burial place of St. Cedd, an Anglo-Saxon bishop who played a significant role in the conversion of the Kingdom of Northumbria to Christianity.
- Lastingham is also home to the Lastingham Grange Hotel, a former 17th-century rectory that has been converted into a luxury hotel.
- The village has a population of around 200 people.
- Lastingham is located approximately 25 miles north of the city of York.
- The village is surrounded by beautiful countryside, including the North York Moors and the Howardian Hills.
- Lastingham is a popular destination for walkers and hikers, with many scenic trails and footpaths in the surrounding area.
- The village is also home to a number of local businesses, including a pub, a tea room, and a pottery studio.
Lastingham on the Map
FAQs about Lastingham
What is Lastingham known for?
Lastingham is a small village in North Yorkshire that is known for its historic church, St. Mary’s, which dates back to the 11th century.
What are some popular activities to do in Lastingham?
Visitors to Lastingham can enjoy hiking and walking in the surrounding countryside, exploring the village’s historic buildings and landmarks, and visiting nearby attractions such as the North York Moors National Park.
Is Lastingham a good place to stay for a weekend getaway?
Yes, Lastingham is a great destination for a weekend getaway, with a range of accommodation options including cozy bed and breakfasts and charming cottages. The village’s peaceful atmosphere and beautiful surroundings make it the perfect place to relax and unwind.
What is the best time of year to visit Lastingham?
Lastingham is a beautiful destination year-round, but the best time to visit depends on your interests. Spring and summer are great for outdoor activities and exploring the countryside, while autumn is a popular time to visit for the stunning fall foliage. Winter is a quieter time in the village, but it can be a magical time to visit if you’re looking for a peaceful retreat.
Are there any local events or festivals in Lastingham?
Yes, Lastingham hosts a number of events and festivals throughout the year, including the Lastingham Grange Festival of Music and Arts, which takes place in the summer and features a range of performances and exhibitions. The village also hosts a Christmas market and other seasonal events.
Where Next After Lastingham
After visiting Lastingham, North Yorkshire, a great place to visit next would be the nearby town of Helmsley. Helmsley is a charming market town with a rich history and plenty of things to see and do. Visitors can explore the ruins of Helmsley Castle, stroll through the picturesque walled gardens of Duncombe Park, or browse the independent shops and galleries in the town center. Helmsley is also home to some fantastic restaurants and cafes, making it a great place to stop for lunch or dinner.
If you’re staying in the area, there are plenty of other places to visit in North Yorkshire. The nearby North York Moors National Park is a must-see, with its stunning landscapes, picturesque villages, and abundant wildlife. The historic city of York is also within easy reach, with its impressive cathedral, medieval walls, and world-class museums. And for those who love the great outdoors, the Yorkshire Dales National Park is just a short drive away, offering endless opportunities for hiking, cycling, and exploring.