A very pleasant stroll through the countryside on this circular walk with a section devoted to The River Aire as it meanders between Carlton and Snaith.
Table of Contents
- what3words for start point: ///sharpened.bounding.observe
- Start / Finish Point: Carlton Village Hall, Church Ln, Carlton, Goole DN14 9PB
- Distance: 4.3 Miles
GPX Route MapDownload file for GPS
On this walk, that starts from Carlton Village Hall, you will see the river, Carlton Bridge, excellent views across the river to Snaith from the flood bank as well as pleasant countryside tracks.
- Turn left down Low Street and walk to the cross-roads.
- Cross the road and turn right on the footpath that runs along the bank on the left-hand side of Hirst Road.
- Follow the footpath as it forks to the left.
- Go through the gate on the left and follow the lane.
- At the end of the lane, the path goes to the right and then the left and reaches a gate.
- Go through the gate, climb on to the flood bank, turn left and walk towards the bridge.
- At the end of the flood bank, there is a gate. DO NOT GO THROUGH THE GATE. Turn right and go over the stile and then turn right on the riverbank footpath.
- Continue on the riverbank footpath until you reach a stile. Go over the stile and then turn right up a track.
- At the top of the track, turn right on another track.
- Look out for a footpath on the left and then join that footpath that leads to a gate.
- Go through the gate and turn left on the flood bank.
- Walk along the flood bank to the end and through another gate.
- Turn right to Hirst road and then turn left.
- Keep to the right-hand side. There is no pavement. TAKE CARE on this stretch.
- Look for a track on the right, after the last house, and turn up the track.
- At the end of the track, turn right into Hanger Lane.
- At the end of Hanger Lane, WITH CARE, cross the road to re- join the bank top footpath you walked along earlier, but this time turn left.
- At the end of the footpath, turn left, cross the road and follow Low Street back to the Village Hall.