‘Bringing ancient monastic footsteps back to life‘
Abbey Walks is dedicated to making available to modern day walkers routes taken by monks between their abbeys ( Fountains Abbey, Rievaulx Abbey, Byland Abbey, Kirkstall Abbey, Roche Abbey ) in the 12th to 14th centuries.
We provide unique walking holidays. Our routes travel along faithfully recreated monastic and pilgrimage routes which have not been walked since the end of the 14th century. As well as walking in beautiful North Yorkshire countryside, a rich tapestry of history unfolds as you walk along ancient footpaths, drovers’ tracks and Roman roads. You will learn about places along the routes and the people who created them.
Prior Richard Way, via Ripon Cathedral
This is a 37 mile linear walk, over 3 days, which starts from the 12th century Benedictine abbey of St. Mary's in York, visits Ripon Cathedral and finishes at UNESCO World Heritage site, Fountains Abbey, near Ripon.
This route was first walked by monks in the 12th century to the Skell valley near Ripon, where Fountains Abbey would subsequently be built. The walk meanders through beautiful North Yorkshire countryside starting along the banks of the River Ouse in York, continues along former Roman road, Dere Street, passes through several medieval villages, and visits Ripon Cathedral and its 7th century crypt before arriving at Fountains Abbey.
We spend some time at Fountains Abbey, Studley Royal Water Gardens and the medieval Deer Park before transferring back to York.
Prior Richard Way, direct to Fountains Abbey
This is a 36 mile linear walk, over 3 days, which also starts from the 12th century Benedictine abbey of St. Mary's in York and finishes at UNESCO World Heritage site, Fountains Abbey, near Ripon.
The route is the same as the ‘ via Ripon ‘ walk as far as Arkendale, one of several medieval villages that we pass through, where it then takes a more direct route to Fountains Abbey.
Half a day is dedicated to exploring Fountains Abbey, Studley Royal Water Gardens and the medieval Deer Park before transferring back to York.
Your walking holiday will include:
- En-suite B&B accommodation (along the walk route) which is carefully selected for quality, comfort and service
- Hearty packed lunches
- A fully trained Mountain Leader guide (on guided walks), who is experienced and knowledgeable about all things related to Abbey Walks and who is committed to ensuring that you get the most from your holiday
- Entrance fee to UNESCO World Heritage Site, Fountains Abbey
- Transportation to and from the walk start and finish points, if required
- Transportation of your main luggage from each accommodation to the next, so that you need only carry a lighter day bag for the walk
- Transfer back to York
If you would like to learn more visit our website www.abbeywalks.co.uk or phone 07732 387613