This Award Winning Floral Market Town has many treasures to explore including panoramic scenery and historic architecture.
Wetherby’s origins are as a staging post for travellers through the centuries between Edinburgh and London, and right next to the recently widened A1(M), it’s still an excellent place to spend a while if you’re travelling North or South.
Now it has developed into a busy market town, and still retains its Thursday Market, granted by Royal Charter in 1240.
For fans of the Sport of Kings (horse racing to the rest of us!) Wetherby also has a fine racecourse, famous for it’s National Hunt (jumps) racing, which also in recent years has added flat racing through the summer too.
Table of Contents
Accommodation in Wetherby
Attractions in Wetherby
Date & Time:November 3rd, 2023 12:00pm
Date & Time:November 4th, 2023 12:00pm
Latest about Wetherby
Browse some recent posts which are in or around Wetherby.
Got a Wetherby story you think would suit us at Welcome to Yorkshire? Contact us with information.
Fact Pack – Wetherby, West Yorkshire
- Wetherby is a market town and civil parish within the City of Leeds metropolitan borough, in West Yorkshire, England.
- It stands on the River Wharfe, and for centuries has been a crossing place and staging post on the Great North Road midway between London and Edinburgh.
- Wetherby Bridge, which spans the River Wharfe, is a Scheduled Ancient Monument and a Grade II listed structure.
- The town was listed in the 1086 Domesday Book as “Wedrebi”, meaning “wether” or “ram” farm.
- Wetherby has a population of approximately 11,000 people.
- The town has a number of schools, including Wetherby High School and St. James’ Church of England Primary School.
- Wetherby has a number of sports facilities and clubs, including Wetherby Athletic FC, Wetherby Bulldogs RLFC, and Wetherby Runners AC.
- The Wetherby Film Theatre, a single-screen cinema, is a popular cultural venue in the town.
- Wetherby has a weekly market in the town centre every Thursday and a farmers’ market on the second Sunday of every month.
- The town is known for its racecourse, Wetherby Racecourse, which stages National Hunt racing.
Wetherby on the Map
Wetherby is where several roads come together, next to the A1 motorway from London to Edinburgh – and lying roughly exactly half way between those two well known cities.
FAQs About Wetherby
Where is Wetherby located?
Wetherby is located in West Yorkshire, England. It’s situated on the River Wharfe and is approximately 12 miles from Leeds.
What is Wetherby known for?
Wetherby is known for its historic charm, including the Wetherby Bridge, which is a Grade II listed structure. It’s also known for Wetherby Racecourse, a popular destination for horse racing.
What amenities and attractions can be found in Wetherby, West Yorkshire?
Wetherby offers a variety of amenities and attractions, including shops, restaurants, and pubs in its town center. It also has a cinema, a museum, and several parks. The Wetherby Racecourse and Bramham Park, a historic country house, are also popular attractions.
York is renowned for its stunning cathedral, York Minster, and its well-preserved medieval walls. Alternatively, the spa town of Harrogate is well set up for visitors, famous for its Turkish baths and beautiful gardens. If you’re a fan of literature, Haworth, the hometown of the Bronte sisters, is a must-visit.
For nature lovers, the Yorkshire Dales offers breathtaking landscapes and numerous walking trails. Lastly, don’t miss out on Leeds, a vibrant city with a rich industrial heritage and a thriving cultural scene. All these destinations are within easy reach and offer a diverse range of experiences in the heart of Yorkshire.