Nestled in the heart of East Yorkshire, Wressle is a charming village that offers a unique blend of history, tranquility, and natural beauty. This quaint destination is a hidden gem, boasting a rich heritage that includes the once stunning Wressle Castle, a 14th-century moated manor house, of which now only the south range still stands, in ruins.
With its picturesque landscapes, serene walking trails, and welcoming local community, Wressle is an ideal spot for tourists seeking a peaceful retreat away from the hustle and bustle of city life.
Table of Contents
There are a small number of good accommodation options dotted around Wressle.
Fact Pack – Wressle
- Wressle is a small village located in East Yorkshire, England.
- The village is part of the civil parish of Wressle.
- It is situated approximately 4 miles to the east of Howden.
- Wressle is known for its historic Wressle Castle, a Grade I listed building.
- The castle was built in the 14th century by Sir Thomas Percy.
- Wressle also has a railway station, which was opened in 1848.
- The village is home to a beautiful Anglican church, St John of Beverley.
- Wressle’s population was recorded as 170 in the 2011 Census.
- The village is surrounded by agricultural land, reflecting its rural setting.
- Wressle is governed by the East Riding of Yorkshire Council.
Latest from Wressle
Wressle on the map
Frequently Asked Questions about Wressle, East Yorkshire
Where is Wressle located in East Yorkshire?
Wressle is a small village located in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is approximately 3 miles southeast of Howden.
What are some notable attractions in Wressle, East Yorkshire?
One of the main attractions in Wressle is the ruined Wressle Castle, a Grade I listed building. The village also has a beautiful parish church, St John the Evangelist.
What facilities are available in Wressle, East Yorkshire?
Wressle offers a village hall, a post office, and a railway station. There are also several local businesses and farms in the area.
After exploring the charming village of Wressle in East Yorkshire, there are several nearby places worth visiting. The historic city of York, with its stunning Minster, ancient city walls, and the fascinating Jorvik Viking Centre, is a must-visit. The market town of Beverley, known for its awe-inspiring Minster and bustling markets, offers a delightful blend of the old and new. Nature lovers should head to the Yorkshire Wolds, a series of rolling hills and tranquil valleys perfect for walking and cycling. For those interested in aviation history, the Yorkshire Air Museum in Elvington is a short drive away. Lastly, the coastal town of Bridlington, with its beautiful beaches and promenade, is perfect for a relaxing day out.
See more cities, towns and villages in East Yorkshire.