Welcome to Southowram, a charming village located in West Yorkshire. This quaint location is steeped in history, with its roots dating back to the Domesday Book. Southowram offers a unique blend of rural tranquility and accessibility to urban amenities, being just a stone’s throw away from the bustling town of Halifax. The village is surrounded by picturesque landscapes, offering stunning views of the Calder Valley. With its rich heritage, friendly community, and beautiful surroundings, Southowram provides an authentic Yorkshire experience for every visitor.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – Southowram, West Yorkshire
- Southowram is a village in Calderdale, West Yorkshire, England.
- It is situated on a hilltop above the Calder Valley and the town of Brighouse.
- The village is part of the Halifax parliamentary constituency.
- Southowram has a population of approximately 4,600 people.
- It is historically a part of the West Riding of Yorkshire.
- The village is home to the Southowram Cricket Club, which was established in 1869.
- Southowram has a number of listed buildings, including the Church of St Anne, which dates back to the 19th century.
- The village is surrounded by beautiful countryside, with numerous walking trails and scenic views.
- Southowram has a community school, Withinfields Primary School, which serves children from the village and surrounding areas.
- The village has a rich history, with evidence of habitation dating back to the Roman times.
Southowram on the map
FAQs About Southowram
Where is Southowram located?
Southowram is located in West Yorkshire, England.
What is Southowram known for?
Southowram is known for its picturesque countryside views and its close proximity to the town of Halifax. It’s a peaceful residential area with a rich history.
What amenities are available in Southowram?
Southowram has a variety of amenities including local shops, pubs, and schools. It also has easy access to larger towns and cities via public transportation.
Where Next after Southowram?
Having visited the charming village of Southowram in West Yorkshire, you might be wondering where to head next. A short drive away is the bustling town of Halifax, home to the iconic Piece Hall and Eureka! The National Children’s Museum. If you’re a fan of literature, the nearby village of Haworth is a must-visit. It’s the hometown of the famous Bronte sisters and you can explore the Bronte Parsonage Museum and the surrounding moors that inspired their works. For nature lovers, the Yorkshire Dales National Park is not too far away, offering stunning landscapes, hiking trails, and quaint villages. Alternatively, you could head to the city of Leeds for a mix of cultural attractions, shopping, and dining. Yorkshire certainly has plenty to offer for your next adventure.