Yorkshire's grand stately homes tell the region's vivid history. Many of them have been lived in by the same families for hundreds of years, filled not only with family memorabilia, but also great works of art and priceless antiques.
You will find Capability Brown landscapes, Vanbrugh masterpieces, Adam interiors, Jacobean palaces and Regency mansions.
Across Yorkshire you'll recognise some of the world famous exteriors and marvel at the hidden treasures within. But don't forget the magnificent surrounding gardens, landscapes and of course, some great play areas to keep the kids happy!
Some of the highlights...
- Nostell Priory House near Wakefield is an 18th-century architectural masterpiece with Adam interiors, Chippendale furniture, fine collections and landscape park and gardens
- Harewood House, near Leeds is the family seat of the Earl and Countess of Harewood. One of the treasure houses of England, renowned for its stunning architecture and exquisite Adam interiors, rich collection of Chippendale furniture, fine porcelain and outstanding art collections, all in the setting of Yorkshire's most beautiful landscape and over 100 acres of award-winning gardens.
- Carlton Towers. This historic property has belonged to the ancestors of the Duke of Norfolk since the Norman Conquest. Currently the family home to Lord and Lady Gerald Fitzalan Howard, it is the most complete house of its type to be found today and boasts original Victorian features including three grand Staterooms and a Minstrel's Gallery.
- Castle Howard near York has remained a family home since it was built over 300 years ago, explore stunning interiors and 1,000 acres of grounds which include an adventure playground and children's trails. Shop and eat in the 18th century Stable Courtyard with its café, farm shop, garden centre and gift shops.
- Burton Agnes Hall in East Yorkshire is a beautiful example of Elizabethan architecture. Explore the family's treasures including an Impressionist art collection, then wander through topiaries and lawns to discover the old walled garden.
- Ripley Castle, North Yorkshire. Discover the fascinating history of the Ingilby family who have lived at Ripley Castle for over 700 years. Be prepared for murder and intrigue on our Guided tours. Explore the extensive walled gardens and enjoy a range of fun family activities in the magnificent grounds and park. Stroll around our picture perfect village where you can relax and shop and eat.
- Historic Kilnwick Percy Hall is a stunning Grade 2* listed building set within 42 acres of grounds with woodland walks, parkland and a lake.
- Brodsworth Hall & Gardens, Doncaster. Built in the 1860's this is one of England's most unaltered Victorian country houses. Take a stroll in the labrinthine 'grand gardens in miniature' now restored to their victorian heyday.
- Temple Newsam, Leeds. A truly impressive country house set within 1500 acres of beautiful parkland.
- Beningbrough Hall, near York is an imposing Georgian mansion containing one of the most fascinating Baroque interiors in the country. Take the time to explore the parkland and gardens too.
- Kiplin Hall & Gardens was the country seat of George Calvert, founder of Maryland, U.S.A., who built this handsome Jacobean Hall in a pretty vale between Richmond and Northallerton.
- Burton Constable Hall, near Hull - Home to the Constable family for over 700 years, Burton Constable is one of the most fascinating country houses to survive with its historic collections. This large Elizabethan mansion and its surrounding parkland is now a museum owned by a charity whose mission is to safeguard its important heritage for future generations.
- Newby Hall and Gardens, Ripon has one of Britain's finest Adam interiors with Chippendale furniture, Gobelin tapestries and a contemporary sculpture park. Take time to explore the 25 acres of land as well as the herbaceous borders which are some of the largest in Europe.
- Sewerby Hall and Gardens is situated in a dramatic cliff-top position with spectacular views over Bridlington and set in 50 acres of early 19th Century parkland. It offers something for everyone from the magnificent award-winning gardens to the deep rooted heritage of the grand hall.
- Cannon Hall Museum Park and Gardens, Barnsley - Cannon Hall is a stunning Georgian country house museum set in 70 acres of historic parkland and beautiful landscaped gardens. It is the perfect day out for all the family. Enjoy the sights and sounds of the past in the wonderful surroundings of the grand hall and its grounds