Welcome to Aughton, a charming village nestled in the heart of East Yorkshire, England. This quaint locale is steeped in history and surrounded by the stunning landscapes of the Yorkshire countryside. Aughton offers a serene escape from the hustle and bustle of city life, with its picturesque views, historic landmarks, and friendly locals. Whether you’re a history buff, nature lover, or simply seeking a peaceful retreat, Aughton promises a unique and memorable experience for all visitors.
Table of Contents
Fact Pack – Aughton
- Aughton is a small village located in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England.
- The village is situated approximately 10 miles east of the city of York.
- Aughton is part of the civil parish of Ellerton, Aughton and Laytham.
- The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, indicating its historical significance.
- It is surrounded by beautiful countryside, offering scenic views and walking trails.
- The village has a small population, creating a close-knit community atmosphere.
- Aughton has a historic church, St. Michael and All Angels, which dates back to the 12th century.
- The village is primarily agricultural, with many farms and fields surrounding the residential area.
- It is served by a community hall, which is a hub for local events and gatherings.
- Aughton is known for its tranquility and rural charm, making it a peaceful place to live or visit.
Aughton, East Yorkshire, on the map
Frequently Asked Questions about Aughton, East Yorkshire
Where is Aughton located in East Yorkshire?
Aughton is a small village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 2 miles south-west of the town of Bubwith.
What are some notable attractions in Aughton, East Yorkshire?
While Aughton is a small village, it is known for its beautiful countryside and historic church, St. Michael and All Angels. The village also offers a peaceful and serene environment for relaxation and nature walks.
What is the population of Aughton, East Yorkshire?
As of the last census, Aughton has a population of approximately 400 people, making it a quiet and peaceful place to live or visit.
After exploring Aughton, East Yorkshire, there are several nearby places worth visiting. The historic city of York is a must-visit, with its stunning York Minster, ancient city walls, and the Jorvik Viking Centre. Hull, the 2017 UK City of Culture, is also nearby and offers attractions like The Deep, one of the UK’s largest aquariums, and the Hull Maritime Museum. Nature lovers should head to the Yorkshire Wolds for beautiful rolling landscapes and picturesque walking trails. For a seaside experience, the charming town of Bridlington offers sandy beaches, a bustling harbour, and the Bridlington Birds of Prey and Animal Park.
See more cities, towns and villages in East Yorkshire.